Coastal communities increasingly realize the need for adaptation strategies, but many are unsure where to begin. This intensive and interactive course provides individuals with a thorough grounding and practical skills for incorporating adaptation strategies into planning processes. Time in class is provided to practice applying what you learn, and opportunities for local collaboration and next steps are emphasized through discussion, participant activities, and local speakers and examples.
Continuing education credits are available through the American Planning Association and the Association of State Floodplain Managers.
You will learn how to:
- Apply the basic elements of an adaptation planning framework to organize future preparedness efforts
- Translate climate science into impacts on local community assets
- Practice a qualitative approach to scope and compile a vulnerability assessment, and describe how to apply the results
- Identify, compare, and prioritize locally relevant adaptation strategies and actions
- Describe implementation options for different strategies
- Recognize the importance of stakeholder involvement in adaptation planning and demonstrate the applicability of engagement processes and tools
Register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/adaptation-planning-for-coastal-communities-noaa-tickets-44115719304
Questions? Email Anita.Grove@dep.state.fl.us or call (850) 670-7708.